SGLT2 inhibitors offer better Diabetes control

SGLT2 inhibitors offer better Diabetes control

This new generation of Diabetes drugs, helps improve blood sugar (glucose) and Hemoglobin A1c levels significantly, offering people with Diabetes the ability to achieve an excellent control.

By Joe Cardozo

During the World Diabetes Congress of the International Diabetes Federation (IDF), held in Montreal in October 2009, a presentation on the results of a scientific study on the Sodium Glucose-dependent Transporter -2 (SGLT2) was presented, which represent the next generation of Diabetes medications.

Dr. Howard Verrico announced that the results of these scientific studies done with Dapagliflozin, show that using these SGLT2 inhibitors, significantly reduces Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) and blood glucose levels, safely and without any notable adverse side effects. Therefore, SGLT2 inhibitors are increasingly attracting the attention of large companies in the pharmaceutical industry worldwide.

In the scientific study, which is currently in Phase III, 274 patients with Hb A1c at 7.0% to 10.0% participated, who were divided into four groups and given 2.5 mg, 5 mg and 10 mg of Dapagliflozin every morning, and the fourth group was treated with a placebo. After 24 weeks, the Hb A1c levels decrease was of 0.58%, 0.77% and 0.88% respectively, while the placebo group only an A1C reduction of 0.23%.

“In addition, Dapagliflozin was associated with continued weight loss and decreased blood glucose levels without any significant hypoglycemia episodes,” added Dr. Verrico.

Dr. Verrico, who is also spokesman for Sirona Biochem, said that the opportunity for Biochem is unique, because their SGLT2 inhibitor, Dapagliflozin has a unique formula with GlycoMin®, which can help treat Obesity and Diabetes, problems, as it can inhibit SGLT2 transporters more efficiently and safely.

What are the SGLT transporters?

SGLT or sodium-dependent glucose transporters, are transport proteins that are responsible for reabsorbing glucose, which would otherwise be excreted through urine, to accumulate in the body as an energy reserve.

In people without Diabetes, SGLT proteins are very useful because, that’s how the body gets energy reserves to develop normally.

Unfortunately, SGLT transporters work exactly the same way in people with Diabetes, which is why the body reabsorbs the glucose it hasn’t used, not expelling it through urine, and the glucose that has already been filtered by the kidneys goes back into the bloodstream, further raising blood sugar levels.

There are 2 types of SGLT protein, both act from the kidneys and are SGLT1, which absorbs 10% of the glucose that isn’t used by the body and SGLT2, which is responsible for reabsorbing the remaining 90% of the glucose, which has already been filtered by the kidneys.

What is the role of SGLT inhibitors?

SGLT inhibitors are medicines that block SGLT protein action, allowing unused filtered glucose to be expelled through the urine, thereby lowering blood glucose and Glycated Hemoglobin (Hb A1c) levels, allowing for better Diabetes control.

Scientific studies are advancing successfully

Currently, several drug companies are conducting scientific studies to develop SGLT protein inhibitors. Some of these studies focus on SGLT1 inhibitors, while others on SGLT2 and others on SGLT1 and 2. Some of the products being developed are Dapagliflozin, Remogliflozina, Sergliflozina, AVE2268, among others.

What makes the use of SGLT inhibitors more exciting and attractive, is that they don’t interfere in the metabolic process, which is why they can be used as a supplement or simultaneously with your usual Diabetes treatment, significantly improving blood glucose and Hemoglobin A1c levels.

At Diabetes Up to Date we celebrate this new treatment

At Diabetes Up to Date we enthusiastically celebrate these scientific studies’ results, which seek for new treatment alternatives that will allow people with Diabetes to more effectively manage their blood glucose and Hemoglobin A1c levels.

Our commitment is to offer you all the tools you need to achieve optimal control of your Diabetes and thus be able to enjoy a healthy, productive and happy life.

Don’t forget to share with your friends this and other news we publish, as many might need them.

Copyright © 2000 -2016- Diabetes Up to Date – All Rights Reserved

Total or partial reproduction of this article is prohibited